Monday, June 15, 2009

What fun, Hon!

"HonFest is a local tradition. The Bawlmer term of endearment, Hon, short for Honey, embodies the warmth and affection bestowed upon our neighbors and visitors alike by historic working-women of Baltimore. HonFest is an annual celebration in honor of these women." www.honfest.net/whatis.html

When in Bawlmer do as the Bawlmerons do....

For a girl who loves to dress up this is the best festival ever! Forget the fried food I just want big hair!
The Hon transformation started with the hair. I decided on a wig over the real thing. I wanted something I could wear again and again. I may just clean the house in my beehive...

Next I had to choose the right dress...
The above dress was too subtle, Hon...
Every Hon needs a great pair of glasses...

These Hon's joined the competition for best Hon...
A whole lot of dancing Hon's, Hon.

How is a Hon judged you might wonder. She has to look authentic, big hair, the tighter the outfit the better, but mostly it's the attitude and lingo that makes a true Hon.
If you can talk Bawlmerese you are a true Hon. There were no toilets at the fest but instead there were TURLITS...
The Hon slogan : The higher the hair the closer to God...
The above and below Hon's were also in the competition.

There were Hon's of all ages. I even saw one dog Hon in a tiger print outfit with pearls and a pink bow.

I recommend checking out the official Hon website (see link above) for more Honformation.

4 comments:

fritz said...

i think you looked fantastic!!!

Heatherteacher said...

did you get a picture of the dog hon? please say you did!

Jenyfer said...

Thanks, Fritz you should visit next year and dress up like Elvis.

I wish I got a picture of the dog Hon... Her owner was moving much to quickly for me to get close enough for a picture... sorry Heather.

lane said...

Jen, you're the coolest Hon I've ever seen.

miss you.